Irvine, Calif., Feb. 13, 2019– The College of California, Irvine Alumni Organization will present its highest possible honor, the Lauds & & Laurels Extraordinarius award, on Michael Arias ’11, an influential college advocate as well as just recently retired administrator.
Arias’ imprint on the campus over his 40-year UCI profession has been significant. Starting first in the support team for the Institution of Physical Sciences in 1979, he took place to function as director of the scholastic budget, assistant dean of the Institution of Social Sciences, associate executive vice chancellor and also chief of staff in the Office of the Provost and also Exec Vice Chancellor as well as, ultimately, associate chancellor as well as principal of personnel in the Workplace of the Chancellor.
“Couple of have actually contributed as much to UCI’s innovation as Mike did for numerous years,” stated Chancellor Howard Gillman. “In every position Mike held, he made UCI a much better location. His contributions can not be overstated and also will benefit UCI for generations ahead. This is absolutely a well-deserved honor.”
As one of the college’s major advisors, Arias played a major function in numerous considerable efforts, consisting of the development of UCI’s critical strategy, the establishment of the Sue & & Expense Gross School of Nursing, the creation of the Susan and also Henry Samueli College of Health Sciences, the gift of the Buck Collection of The golden state art, the building and construction of 2 pupil housing facilities and the Anteater Knowing Structure, as well as the planning for the Interdisciplinary Science & & Design Building.
Fourteen Distinguished Alumni will certainly likewise be recognized at the 49th annual Lauds & & Laurels awards gala in May:
- Toni Alexander ’69– Claire Trevor School of the Arts; head of state and innovative supervisor at InterCommunicationsInc
- Devansu Tewari ’93, M.D. ’97, MBA ’14– Institution of Biological Sciences; gynecologic oncologist at Kaiser Permanente Orange Region
- Reza Sabahi, MBA ’09– The Paul Merage College of Service; managing supervisor at Wells Fargo Capital Money
- Kimberly Brower– Division of Postgraduate work; aide supervisor of food market programs at the College of Southern California
- Jessica Tunney, Ph.D. ’16– Institution of Education; founding principal and also executive supervisor of Tomorrow’s Management Collaborative Public Charter School
- Cynthia Guidry ’92– The Henry Samueli School of Design; replacement exec director of preparation as well as advancement at Los Angeles World Airports
- Mona Baset ’93– Institution of Humanities; aide vice president of info as well as analytics solutions at Room Health
- James Hobbs ’73– Donald Bren School of Information & & Computer system Sciences; retired senior enterprise engineer at Intel Corp.
- . Brooke Weitzman, J.D. ’14– Institution of Legislation; founder as well as attorney at Santa Ana’s Senior Legislation as well as Impairment Rights Center
- Bruce Burke, M.D. ’68– Institution of Medicine; neurosurgeon
- Omeid Heidari ’13– Sue & & Costs Gross College of Nursing; doctoral trainee at Johns Hopkins University
- Roger McWilliams ’75– School of Physical Sciences; senior associate dean of study as well as advancement and professor of physics & & astronomy Shari McMahan’
- 84, Ph.D. ’92– College of Social Ecology; provost as well as vice president for academic events at The golden state State University, San Bernardino
- Paula Tomei ’79– School of Social Sciences; managing supervisor at South Coastline Repertory
Extra honorees are Distinguished Young Alumna Sitara Nayudu ’11; Superior Graduates Athlete Shannon Eusey ’92; Exceptional Faculty Success awardee Thomas Ahlering of the School of Medicine; Impressive Staff Accomplishment champion Iain Grainger of the Workplace of the Vice Provost for Training and also Learning; Impressive Undergraduate Student Avoid “Gracie” Wong of the College of Physical Sciences; and Outstanding Graduate Students Kelton Mock and also Alex Marlow of the College of Medication.
A tradition since 1971, Lauds & & Laurels not just identifies outstanding Anteaters but additionally supports the university’s and also the UCIAA’s function in motivating the next generation of alumni– an “Anteaters for Anteaters” movement. Internet proceeds from the awards event benefit the UCI Alumni Organization Endowed Scholarship Fund.
The occasion will happen Thursday, May 23, at the Paséa Resort in Huntington Beach, starting with a 6 p.m. function. Table sponsorships and also specific tickets are readily available currently. For sponsorship chances, contact Chris Ruoff, UCIAA service advancement supervisor, at email@example.com!.?.!. Concerning the UCI Alumni Association: Fifty years ago, in 1968, the UCI Alumni Organization was established to enrich the lives of alumni and also engage them in lifelong innovation of UCI. It cultivates the success of the college’s greater than 188,000 alumni by linking them to each other as well as giving a vast array of university sources. With UCI’s ambition of being a globally preeminent college, the UCI Alumni Organization aims to empower and support its graduates community with its chapters, occupation employment chances, celebrations, subscription program, and also graduates interaction events. For more details regarding the UCI Alumni Association, see www.alumni.uci.edu. Regarding the College of The Golden State, Irvine: Established in 1965, UCI is the youngest participant of the distinguished Organizationof American Colleges. The school has created 3 Nobel laureates and also is known for its academic accomplishment, leading study, innovation as well as anteater mascot. Led by Chancellor Howard Gillman, UCI has greater than 35,000 pupils and also offers 192 level programs. It lies in among the globe’s safest and also most financially lively communities as well as is Orange County’s second-largest company, contributing$5 billion every year to the local economic situation. For a lot more on UCI, see www.uci.edu. Media access: Radio programs/stations might, for a charge, make use of an on-campus ISDN line to talk to UCI professors and professionals, subject to availability as well as university authorization. For more UCI information, check out news.uci.edu. Additional sources for journalists might be discovered at communications.uci.edu/for-journalists.